Sunday, July 17, 2011

Canned Black Beans - Store Brand or Name Brand?


Product #23: Canned Black Beans:

Today I am comparing Bush's Black Beans to Target's Market Pantry Black Beans. Both come in 15.5 oz cans. Both have the same ingredients: prepared black beans, water and salt. Both look the same when opened - the beans are the same size and shape. When I tasted both to compare though there was a slight difference only in the level of saltiness. The Bush's brand seemed saltier to me. Sure enough, when I checked the sodium levels, the Bush's was higher. 480mg per serving vs. 400mg per serving with the Target brand. 90% of the time I rinse the beans before cooking with them and this process gets rid of most of the sodium anyway. However, since the price difference is notable, they taste the same and the Target Brand is lower in sodium, I will go with the store brand on this one for sure.

The Cost Comparison (as of 7/9/11 at Target):

Bush's Black Beans (15.5 oz can): 1.09
Target's Market Pantry Black Beans (15.5 oz can): .67

That's a difference of .42 - well worth the switch, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment